- STARS Residencies help schools partner with artists, scientists and other creative teachers for in-depth learning in arts, history, and the sciences. MCC will DOUBLE the number of STARS grants to schools this year to meet intense demand for this funding from teachers and principals.
- YouthReach makes grants to cultural and community-based organizations to support in-depth arts, humanities, and science programs for young people at risk. MCC will also convene a national summit on arts and youth at risk as part of the 20th anniversary of YouthReach in 2014.
- Big Yellow School Bus provides grants to help schools meet the transportation costs of educational field trips to cultural institutions in Massachusetts.
- Poetry Out Loud is a national competition in which high school students memorize and perform great poems and explore the dynamic aspects of slam poetry, spoken work, and theatre in their English and Drama classes. Huntington Theatre Co. runs the program in Massachusetts.
- Creative Minds Afterschool is a visual arts curriculum for educators, developed with the Massachusetts Afterschool Partnership.
The MCC is a state agency supporting the arts, sciences, and humanities, to improve the quality of life in Massachusetts and its communities. It pursues its mission through a combination of grants, services, and advocacy for nonprofit cultural organizations, schools, communities, and artists. MCC's total budget for the current fiscal year is $12.7 million, which includes annual grants from the National Endowment for the Arts and other sources.