Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I've been Bottega Veneta'd

Is it ethical for performing arts centers to compromise subscriber privacy?

In all my years of subscribing to many coffee house, performing art center and festival email lists, I have never been spammed as a result of the venue giving away or selling my personal contact information.

That is until today.

"This message was sent from Bottega Veneta to notlobmusic@xxxxxxxxxxx. It was sent from: Bottega Veneta, 697 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10022. "

Beware, if you belong to the TCAN mailing list your address, like mine, has probably been given to Bottega Veneta, a high end retail fashion store. And who knows how many more?

The right half of the image below encourages shopping their yupscale store, ostensibly a percentage of the sales will be given to TCAN.

  1. I did not give you my mailing address to pass on to others.
  2. I prefer to patronize local family-owned and run businesses, not corporations.
  3. If I had the money to buy high end fashion, I'd prefer to donate it to the needy.

Needless to say I will be unsubscribing from the TCAN list, will not be shopping Bottega Veneta, and will be supporting performing art centers that are in tune with my political and ethical beliefs.

Bottega Veneta


No comments: